Saturday, April 9, 2011

Empty Nest

Raising children is wonderful, it is difficult. The truth of the matter is probably this: if you care enough to give parenthood your best effort, it's probably the best thing you've ever done and the hardest thing you've ever done.
You literally give your heart, soul, and every ounce of love and energy to this job. And if you're a parent, you know that sometimes the children take your love and fling it right back at your feet.
But then....... they are grown and gone. The house becomes yours again, the only messes to clean up are the minimal messes you create for yourself, the electricity bill drops by more than 50%, and if you're a lucky parent, you have a couple of decent human beings out there, making their way in this world.
It took years to get my son and daughter raised, and yet, it went by so quickly.
The fact is, out of everything, good and not so good, that I've accomplished in more than half a century on this planet, the raising of my 2 kids is the job of which I'm most proud.
I am now, and I will always be, Mom. And that's quite an achievement.

1 comment:

  1. Raising children to be self reliant, caring and contributing adults is every parents dream. Good work!

    I have only one son, who is entering college this fall, and will be living away from home for the first time (aside from a year at boarding school) and I'm really torn.
    On one hand I know this is the natural progression; but on the other, I don't want to see him go.
    He's excited and not the least bit worried, and me? I'm a basket case. lol

    ReplyDelete